Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Not for my own vanity"


So, I almost-ashamedly admit that most of the movies I watch are animated and geared for an audience almost 20 years younger than I am! If you don't have kids, you just don't get it!!

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was watching "Oliver & Company" with my kids, and my little siblings. In this particular movie, there is a self-absorbed, vain, and fairly annoying dog named Georgette. (Voice by the famed Bette Midler!) As she is going through her process of preparing herself for the day, she said something that struck a chord with me. She claims that all her preparations are "Not for my own vanity, but for humanity!" She desperately tries to convince herself that her self-centered desire to be the prettiest, most amazing dog on the block was for not for her benefit, but for everyone else's.

Anyway, this made me wonder if I do that. Do I ever claim to be doing something in 'ministry' for others, when really it is all about my own selfish desires? I guess the extreme example would be of the tele-preacher who claims great rewards from God if you send him money! Even though my faults are not so extreme, they are no less real, and no less wrong!

God, teach me to examine my motives and thoughts to be sure I am doing the right thing for the right reasons. And give me people to challenge me and my motives lovingly and often! AMEN!

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner